I always intended to write this postmortem earlier … now three years after development ceased, I’m finally getting around to it. Warning – retrospective rambling ahead.
In mid 2007, Nintendo released the Opera-powered browser for their Wii gaming console which they called the Internet Channel. For many people, including myself, this was the first time they had been able to use “Internet on the TV”. Because of the typical viewing distance, low resolution for CRT-based televisions, and the unique navigation interface using the Wiimote, many web sites were functional but not particularly comfortable to use. Many sites targeted at desktop PCs were too complex and heavyweight for the Internet Channel, fonts were often too small such that cumbersome zooming and scrolling was required. I felt this was a good opportunity to write a Wii-browser specific app – in particular, I wanted a news reader that was comfortable to use in a lounge room setting, controlled via the Wiimote.
I started the Wiider project around Dec 2007, as the successor to a Wii-specific news aggregator service I had set up called WiiRSS. The last SVN commit for Wiider was in Dec 2008.
The goal of the Wiider project was to create a web-based news feed reader optimized for the Nintendo Wii Internet Channel. Features included:
Wii-friendly user interface – large TV friendly fonts, simple navigation
Cookie-less view-only access for a personal feed list (via ?key=xxx, bookmarked on the Wii once you’ve logged in)
Wiimote navigation controls, beyond what the browser provides
I recently needed to make a simple, two dimensional figure of a beta-barrel membrane protein. I went hunting for programs that might take a sequence and/or structure and produce a pretty looking diagram to save me constructing everything by hand. Here are two I found and tried.
David Baker’s lab and friends, have recently released a new ‘experiment’ in protein folding called FoldIt. Essentially, individuals or teams can compete online to manually fold protein structures, guided by the internal energy function within the game (it very likely uses code from the impressive ab initio folding software Rosetta under the hood). The interface is designed as a game to make it accessible to everyone, not just experts in protein folding. While it’s pretty simplified compared with your average molecular structure editing software, I think designers of scientific software (often scientists themselves) should take note; a good clean interface can really assist getting a specific job done painlessly. I haven’t played enough with it yet, but I get the feeling that FoldIt could be a nice way to introduce some protein structure concepts to undergraduates too.
There were the usual complaints on Slashdot that FoldIt doesn’t have a Linux version. Well, I’m happy to report that it seems to run alright using Wine (on Ubuntu Hardy Heron). I couldn’t log in to try the competitive puzzles, but I suspect the server is just in the midst of a Slashdotting. I’ll try later.
From the FoldIt FAQ:
Can humans really help computers fold proteins?
We’re collecting data to find out if humans’ pattern-recognition and puzzle-solving abilities make them more efficient than existing computer programs at pattern-folding tasks. If this turns out to be true, we can then teach human strategies to computers and fold proteins faster than ever!
Not sure where I saw it, but I remember reading an argument that the future of crowdsourcing would be to not just blindly trust the whole crowd, but also identify experts in the crowd and weight their predictions more strongly. I’d say this is will be the case with ‘manual’ protein folding – just like some players become l33t at first-person-shooters (like my favorite, RTCW: Enemy Territory which depsite enjoying, I’m not so l33t at), and could beat any AI player that doesn’t cheat… some people will probably become pretty good at folding up proteins. Maybe FoldIt will identify them, and they can make their gaming skills useful, and teach their tricks to software to automate the process. Or maybe it will just remain a fun-ish puzzle game 🙂
I’ve been looking at doing an analysis with some protein subfamily sequence logos, using Eric Beitz’s texshade. While it’s a little strange that it does the actual analysis part (rather than just the rendering) using LaTeX, it’s the only implementation of the method I know of, and it beats reimplementing it from the paper.
It happens all to often that published bioinformatics tools cease to be updated or even disappear from the Web not long after the peer-review publication is released. Kudos to Eric for not abandoning his software.